Friday, March 19, 2010

Off with your head!

After taking many measurements and setting the chassis up on the stands so the two axle tubes were perfectly plumb, I took the leap and made my initial cut! I had to cut very carefully so as to only cut through the frame tunnel and not through the reinforcement underneath. I "snuck up" on the cut, making my initial cut about an inch away from where it ended up. I then positioned the new frame head exactly an inch away from the final position, got it perfectly plumb & straight, and used blue masking tape to mark the final cut. After very carefully making the final cut & filing it perfectly straight I was very happy with how tight the seam ended up. And the measurements are perfect! I drilled the hole for the fuel line in the side of the new head. I have not yet welded the frame head on because I still need to treat the inside of the tunnel with POR15 to stop the rust. I will also weld up all of the openings on the new head and tunnel so as to completely seal out the water. No moisture, no more rust! I went to the local junk yard today to check out the half dozen or so beetles they have. I was disappointed to find they were pretty rusted into the ground and had been picked over pretty thoroughly. However, I did score 5 beautiful, original wheels!! The wheels that came with my bug are horrible, unusable. Very pitted (see below). I was able to get the nice, original wheels (see below) for $20 a piece! That means the 5 original wheels cost the same as ONE new reproduction wheel!!! I also picked up a battery hold down bracket for $2, mine was missing when I got the car. Al in all, it has been a great day for my beetle project, very productive!

3 comments:

  1. This is the good blog with good and details. Please keep on posting the more stuff. I will like to hear more from you.

    Storage Buildings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks just what was looking for if you have any more other help you can give please email thank you

    ReplyDelete